Skip to main content

Impossible Io Improve "Catastrophic" Health Situation In Gaza, Says WHO

Impossible Io Improve 'Catastrophic' Health Situation In Gaza, Says WHO

Gaza hospitals have come under bombardment as part of Israel's response to Hamas' attacks. (File)

Geneva:

The World Health Organization chief said on Sunday it will be all but impossible to improve the "catastrophic" health situation in Gaza even as the board passed an emergency WHO motion by consensus to secure more medical access.

Palestinian officials have also described a disastrous health situation in Gaza, where Israel's assault has left most of the population homeless, with little electricity, food or clean water, and a medical system facing collapse.

The emergency action, proposed by Afghanistan, Qatar, Yemen and Morocco, seeks passage into Gaza for medical personnel and supplies, requires the WHO to document violence against healthcare workers and patients and to secure funding to rebuild hospitals.

"I must be frank with you: these tasks are almost impossible in the current circumstances," WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.

Tedros told the 34-member board in Geneva that medical needs in Gaza had surged and the risk of disease had grown, yet the health system had been reduced to a third of its pre-conflict capacity.

Dr. Mustafa Barghouti, a Palestinian politician who heads the Union of Palestinian Medical Relief Committees with 25 teams working in Gaza, said: "half of Gaza is now starving".

He said 350,000 people had infections including 115,000 with severe respiratory infections and lacking warm clothes, blankets and protection from the rain.

He said many were suffering from stomach complaints because there was little clean water and not enough fuel to use to boil it, risking outbreaks of dysentery, typhoid and cholera.

"To add insult to injury, we have 46,000 injured people who cannot be treated properly because most of the hospitals are not functioning," he said.

BOMBARDMENT

Gaza hospitals have come under bombardment and some have been besieged or raided as part of Israel's response to Hamas' deadly Oct. 7 attacks. Those that remain open are overwhelmed by the numbers of dead and wounded arriving and sometimes procedures are carried out without anaesthetics.

A WHO database shows there have been 449 attacks on healthcare facilities in Palestinian territories since Oct. 7, without assigning blame.

Tedros said that it would be hard to meet the board's requests given the security situation on the ground and said he deeply regretted that the United Nations Security Council could not agree on a ceasefire following a U.S. veto.

"Resupplying health facilities has become extremely difficult and is deeply compromised by the security situation on the ground and inadequate resupply from outside Gaza," he said.

Palestinian Health Minister Mai al-Kaila deplored the critical shortages of medicines. "The urgency of the situation cannot be overstated," she told the WHO meeting by video link.

WHO board member the United States signalled in the meeting that it would not oppose the text of the motion which was adopted without a vote later on Sunday.

The motion was criticised by Israel, which has said it puts disproportionate focus on Israel and does not address what it describes as Hamas' use of civilians as human shields, by placing command centres and weapons inside hospitals.

"If this session serves any purpose at all, it will only encourage Hamas' actions," Israeli ambassador Meirav Eilon Shahar told the meeting. Israel is not a WHO board member.

WHO emergency sessions are rare and have occurred during health crises including during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 and during West Africa's Ebola epidemic in 2015. Qatar, which has mediated in the Israel-Hamas conflict, chaired the session.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

Adblock test (Why?)



from NDTV News- Special https://ift.tt/17mzq4o https://ift.tt/CypwTiF
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salaries Of 12700 Punjab Teachers Tripled After Regularisation

Punjab government has tripled the salaries of 12,700 teachers, who were regularised recently. Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Tuesday said the salaries of 12,700 teachers, who were regularised recently, have been increased by up to three times. In a statement here, Mr Mann said these teachers will be known as associate teachers and special inclusive teachers, adding that they will be governed by a 'Policy for Welfare of Adhoc, Contractual, Temporary Teachers (Nation Builders) and other employees in the School Education Department'. Based on their educational qualifications and primary conditions for entry into services, their emoluments have been fixed up to the completion of 58 years in service. Mr Mann said these teachers will be entitled to an increment of 5 per cent on their salaries every year. The chief minister said BA pass education providers (associate teachers) who were hitherto getting Rs 9,500 per month will now get Rs 20,500 as an emolum...

"Mandir" Tag To Health Centers Sparks Backlash In Ladakh

The new signages of Ayushman Health Centres raised eyebrows in Ladakh. Srinagar: The renaming of Ayushman Bharat Health and Wellness centers as Ayushman Arogya Mandir has sparked backlash in Ladakh. After red flag by Ladakh Buddhist Association, the BJP ruled Ladakh Autonomous Council has asked the Lieutenant Governor to "respect public sentiment". "I am taking the liberty to express my concerns, as well as of the public, regarding the recent renaming of the Ayushman Bharat Health and Wellness centers to Ayushman Arogya Mandir," Tashi Gyalson, Chairman cum Chief Executive Councilor of Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council, wrote to Lieutenant Governor, Brig (Retired) B.D. Mishra. "It has come to my attention that this change has generated significant resentment among the public, necessitating prompt attention and resolution," wrote Mr Gyalson. Referring to Health ministry directive, Mr Gyalson, who is also a senior BJP leader, said it was stip...

Mob Attacks Hindu Procession In Maharashtra's Thane, Case Filed: Cops

The incident took place on Sunday night on Lodha Road, police said. (Representational) Thane: A mob of 50-60 persons was booked by Mira Bhayander Vasai Virar police in Thane district for allegedly assaulting a man who was part of a procession on the eve of the idol consecration of the Ram Temple in Ayodhya, an official said. The incident took place on Sunday night on Lodha Road and as per the complainant the mob armed with iron rods, sticks, bats shouted religious slogans and assaulted him when he was part of a procession comprising three vehicles and 10 two-wheelers, the official said. They vandalised the car with stones and sticks, the man said in his complaint to Naya Nagar police station. "A case of attempt to murder and other offences has been registered against a mob of 50-60 persons. Further probe is underway," the official added. (Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.) Adblock test (Wh...