Skip to main content

After Strike In Gaza's Rafah, Men Struggle To Pull Out Toddler's Body

After Strike In Gaza's Rafah, Men Struggle To Pull Out Toddler's Body

Rafah is located at the southern end of the Gaza Strip close to the border with Egypt. (File)

A dead toddler's legs and bare feet poked out from under layers of concrete in the ruins of a block hit by an Israeli air strike, and three men tried to release the top half of the body by pulling out chunks of debris with their bare hands.

At one point, having removed a large piece, one of the men picked up the child's legs, which were dressed in black trousers, and gently tried to retrieve the body, but it was still stuck and the legs flopped to the ground.

The scene took place early on Monday in Rafah, after a strike late the previous night destroyed a residential block and left a yawning crater as deep as a multi-storey building.

The dead toddler was eventually freed and wrapped in a black cloth. A man cradled the body to his chest, despair etched on his face, and carried it away from the ruins, surrounded by other men, some of whom put their hands on his shoulders.

"There is no God but Allah, and all martyrs are beloved by Allah," the men chanted as they walked.

Another tiny body was also being carried away, that one wrapped in a colourful blanket.

Local residents told Reuters more than a dozen people had been killed in the strike, including several children. Several of the dead were still buried in the rubble.

Rafah is located at the southern end of the Gaza Strip close to the border with Egypt. Israel has been urging civilians to move southwards from other parts of the strip to avoid being caught up in heavy combat, but survivors in Rafah said nowhere was safe.

The war began on Oct. 7 when militants from Hamas, the group that runs the Gaza Strip, rampaged through southern Israel, killing 1,200 people including babies and toddlers and seizing 240 hostages of all ages, according to Israeli figures.

Vowing to destroy Hamas in response, Israel has responded with a military assault on the densely populated Palestinian enclave that has killed more than 15,000 people, most of them women and children, according to health officials in Gaza.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

Adblock test (Why?)



from NDTV News- Special https://ift.tt/GDpOxn4 https://ift.tt/8VQIKfj
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

US Defense Chief Austin To Make 'Full Recovery' From Cancer: Doctors

Austin, a 70-year-old career soldier, initially underwent minor surgery to treat cancer on December 22. Washington: US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin is likely to make a "full recovery" from prostate cancer and his prognosis is "excellent," two doctors said after he was seen at Walter Reed hospital for a follow-up appointment. Austin controversially kept US President Joe Biden in the dark about the cancer diagnosis for weeks, and did not inform either the commander-in-chief or Congress until days after he was hospitalized on January 1 for complications from his treatment. "Secretary Austin was seen today at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center for a scheduled post-prostatectomy surveillance appointment," the doctors said in a statement released by the Pentagon. "He continues to recover well and is expected to make a full recovery. Secretary Austin's prostate cancer was treated early and effectively, and his prognosis is excellent,...

Republic Day Updates: Macron Chief Guest As Delhi Hosts Parade Amid Dense Fog

Adblock test (Why?) from NDTV News- Special https://ift.tt/yqj8XDV https://ift.tt/zHpGab4 via IFTTT

North Korea Says It Tested New Strategic Cruise Missile

North Korea test-fired a new generation of strategic cruise missile on Wednesday. (Representational) Seoul: North Korea fired several cruise missiles towards the Yellow Sea on Wednesday, Seoul's military said, the latest in a series of tension-raising moves by the nuclear-armed state. Hours later, North Korea appeared to confirm the firing, saying it had carried out its first test of a new generation of strategic cruise missiles it is developing, the Pulhwasal-3-31. Pyongyang has accelerated weapons testing in the new year, including tests of what it called an "underwater nuclear weapon system" and a solid-fuelled hypersonic ballistic missile. "Our military detected several cruise missiles launched by North Korea towards the Yellow Sea at around 7:00 am today," the South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement. Unlike their ballistic counterparts, the testing of cruise missiles is not banned under current UN sanctions against Pyongyang. Cruise...