Skip to main content

Maharashtra Ex Minister On Blocking NCP Leader's Entry Into Then Shiv Sena

Maharashtra Ex Minister On Blocking NCP Leader's Entry Into Then Shiv Sena

Baban Gholap said he is a staunch Shiv Sainik (File)

Nashik:

Former Maharashtra minister Baban Gholap said on Sunday he has resigned as a deputy leader of the Shiv Sena (UBT) and claimed that NCP's Chhagan Bhujbal had plans to return to their party a year ago but he thwarted it.

Baban Gholap, who represented the Nashik Road-Deolali assembly constituency for five consecutive terms, said he was in Delhi last year when Sena's Milind Narvekar informed him about Chhagan Bhujbal planning to come back to their party.

Chhagan Bhujbal, now a minister in the Eknath Shinde cabinet, started his political career with the Shiv Sena and was in the party for over two decades. He left the Sena in 1991 to join the Congress and later became a part of the Sharad Pawar-founded NCP.

Baban Gholap said he then came to Mumbai and met then Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray.

"I asked Uddhavji how a person who troubled late Shiv Sena supremo Balasaheb Thackeray, arrested him, filed cases against me, Raj Thackeray and many others can join the party. He has troubled all of us, Shiv Sainiks. If he joins the party, where will we go," Baban Gholap told reporters recalling his submission to Thackeray.

The ex-MLA claimed Thackeray then told his close aide Milind Narvekar that Chhagan Bhujbal should not be allowed in the party. "The move was thus thwarted," Baban Gholap said.

Citing "recent developments", the ex-minister said he has resigned as a deputy leader of Sena (UBT) and WhatsApped his resignation letter to Thackeray.

The Sena (UBT) leader said he learnt from their party mouthpiece 'Saamana' that another leader, Vilas Shinde, has replaced him as the party's liaison chief for the Shirdi Lok Sabha constituency.

Baban Gholap said he is a staunch Shiv Sainik who strived to expand the party's footprints in the region. "If things are moving this way, I would prefer to work as a common activist of the party." Baban Gholap is apparently unhappy over former MP Bhausaheb Wakchaure joining his party Sena. As the liaison chief for Shirdi Lok Sabha seat and an influential leader from the region, he was hopeful of getting a ticket from there in next year's general elections, but that might not materialise with Wakchaure's entry, according to political analysts.

The ex-minister said Sena (UBT) Rajya Sabha member Sanjay Raut has called him to Mumbai for a talk. "I will go to Mumbai tomorrow (Monday) and discuss the issue in detail," he said.

Baban Gholap was an MLA from Nashik Road-Deolali assembly seat from 1990 to 2014. In 2014, his son Yogesh Gholap became the MLA from the constituency but lost to NCP's Saroj Ahire in 2019.

Meanwhile, former Nashik West assembly MLA Nitin Bhosale left Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) and joined the Sharad Pawar faction of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) on Sunday. He had won on an MNS ticket in 2009. Originally, he was a Shiv Sainik but later joined the MNS when Raj Thackeray formed his own party. 

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

Adblock test (Why?)



from NDTV News- Special https://ift.tt/el6ysrn https://ift.tt/y6Afzt9
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

US Defense Chief Austin To Make 'Full Recovery' From Cancer: Doctors

Austin, a 70-year-old career soldier, initially underwent minor surgery to treat cancer on December 22. Washington: US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin is likely to make a "full recovery" from prostate cancer and his prognosis is "excellent," two doctors said after he was seen at Walter Reed hospital for a follow-up appointment. Austin controversially kept US President Joe Biden in the dark about the cancer diagnosis for weeks, and did not inform either the commander-in-chief or Congress until days after he was hospitalized on January 1 for complications from his treatment. "Secretary Austin was seen today at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center for a scheduled post-prostatectomy surveillance appointment," the doctors said in a statement released by the Pentagon. "He continues to recover well and is expected to make a full recovery. Secretary Austin's prostate cancer was treated early and effectively, and his prognosis is excellent,...

Republic Day Updates: Macron Chief Guest As Delhi Hosts Parade Amid Dense Fog

Adblock test (Why?) from NDTV News- Special https://ift.tt/yqj8XDV https://ift.tt/zHpGab4 via IFTTT

North Korea Says It Tested New Strategic Cruise Missile

North Korea test-fired a new generation of strategic cruise missile on Wednesday. (Representational) Seoul: North Korea fired several cruise missiles towards the Yellow Sea on Wednesday, Seoul's military said, the latest in a series of tension-raising moves by the nuclear-armed state. Hours later, North Korea appeared to confirm the firing, saying it had carried out its first test of a new generation of strategic cruise missiles it is developing, the Pulhwasal-3-31. Pyongyang has accelerated weapons testing in the new year, including tests of what it called an "underwater nuclear weapon system" and a solid-fuelled hypersonic ballistic missile. "Our military detected several cruise missiles launched by North Korea towards the Yellow Sea at around 7:00 am today," the South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement. Unlike their ballistic counterparts, the testing of cruise missiles is not banned under current UN sanctions against Pyongyang. Cruise...